Sunday, February 1, 2009

Movin' On Up

I put away the pack and play that had been in our bedroom since Matthew was born. He moved up to his bedroom 4 weeks ago, but we had left it there to use as a downstairs changing station and because I thought maybe, just maybe, he might come back to visit once or twice. He didn't need to. It made me sad to see it go as it is a visible symbol that my baby is already passing milestones. I know this is just one of many and a good one at that, but it's bittersweet to know he's moving on already. When these milestones flew past with Katelyn, I consoled myself by thinking that I'd be able to see it again with Baby #2. Now, as Matthew achieves a goal, that's it. There's no doing it again.

So, as I watched my little boy sleep next to me Wednesday afternoon, I tried to capture a memory (pictures never quite do it justice) of the perfection of his eyelids, the smoothness of his cheeks and the contented pout of his lips. My house remains dusty and the kitchen floor still needs to be mopped, but hopefully I'll always have that perfect picture in my mind's eye.

3 comments:

Grandpa and Abi said...

What a beautiful picture and some touching sentiments expressed in your words as a Mom. Thanks so much for sharing these beautiful thoughts,as a reminder to all of us of what is important.

Kelly said...

What a beautiful post. Thanks for sharing such an emotional, bittersweet moment.

crumthekid said...

I remember when I moved Amelia from her bassinet to the crib. I laid in bed and stared at the empty bassinet and realized it was the first time I had really been alone for over a year - Tom was downstairs, Amelia was not inside of me or next to me - and I felt so sad knowing she'd never be back in that bassinet in the same way... Thanks for sharing your story - and I love that picture!