Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mom Goes on a Job

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to go document a trial installation for work. I thought sharing parts of it here might increase understanding for those of you still confused about what my company does - manufacture and sell monolithic (unformed) refractories. My involvement in the project is representative of parts of my jobs by creating marketing materials and observing a new product with implications for the Steel group, but I usually sit at a desk all day. This was exciting stuff!

Refractories can be installed in many ways, but this installation was shotcreting (pumped through pipes and shot onto the wall with a nozzle). The refractory goes into a mixer.
Then into a pump which I won't show here just in case competitors are also fans of this blog.
Then you have to get the nozzleman (and the documenter (me)) up the stack of the cupola
in this 'cage.' That tube with the yellow and orange will move the product.

Safety First. Earplugs, respirator, safety glasses, hardhat, face shield, steel toes and a white plastic-ish suit to help keep refractory rebound from going down my neck, in my hair, ears, etc.

All the guys on the job were very accomodating and there were no jokes about this get up...because they've all worn it at some point too, but I couldn't have been the only one thinking, 'Stay Puff Marshmallow Man.'
And this is what I saw and documented for about 30 minutes. It sticks to the bricks. That's exciting....really.


This is a picture of my arm afterward. Note how it's not that dirty. That's called low rebound, and it's exciting too...really.

Refractory materials are insulative linings for furnaces melting metal (such as a cupola) and for the transport and holding of molten metal. The molten metal during this installation was on the other side of the foundry. I have amazing video of that side of the process too. I'll edit them down and post them later, but here's one shot looking towards the pouring line from the cupola deck. We call these fire and brimstone pictures. It's even more amazing when you can feel the heat blowing at you as you take them.

1 comment:

Grandpa and Abi said...

Very impressive and quite interesting. Thanks for showing the pictures, it really does help. I now have lots of questions. Can't wait to see you!