Saturday, January 9, 2010

What a week....

Monday was the day we all went back to school/work after the holiday break. Daycare called me at 9:15 saying that Matthew had not stopped crying since I dropped him off. I went to get him, but was not feeling so hot myself. He seemed fine when we got home. I fed him and he played and even danced while I watched from the couch. Luckily he took a long nap so I could too. I picked up Katelyn from school and went directly to the couch. I went to bed at 6:30 where I didn't move until morning. I think I had food poisoning.

Tuesday I was feeling better, not great, but better so I took the kids to school and went to work. Matthew was crying as I left. We all survived the day at our respective locations though, but I scheduled an apt. with the doctor for him on Wednesday. Tuesday was also Chris' birthday. Happy birthday, hubby! I come up with the best gifts. A baby desperately unhappy at daycare and a sick wife.

Wednesday I went to a few meetings at work then took Matthew to the doctor. I was really hoping he was sick b/c I didn't know how we were going to deal with daycare anxiety. He was in good spirits and the nurse looked at me like I was crazy as I described his symptoms. Turned out he had an ear infection in his left ear and a retracted eardrum in his right. I guess the retracted eardrum can be caused by past congestion, but whatever it is, it also causes discomfort. Poor kid. He may have been uncomfortable for a month, but no one knew it b/c he didn't present typical symptoms. At least we know what to look for now. 24 hours of the pink antibiotic and he was a new kid. I had forgotten just how happy he is. He's back on the good baby plan. :)

Thursday was relatively uneventful. Friday was not. Katelyn woke up saying her tummy hurt. She often says this when she is hungry, but when she didn't eat her fruit snacks, I knew something was up. I had some meetings with out of towners so I went to work expecting the call. I got it at noon. Luckily after the meetings. She had thrown up at school...made it to the toilet there. Poor kid #2. She stayed on the couch the whole afternoon except for 2 bouts of sickness. She did not make it to the bathroom at home. Instead I had a line of red from the couch to the bathroom to clean. (Yes, I realize red jello was a bad idea, but I wanted to get some fluid in her.) An hour later, it was sorta clean.

I heard that something is going around the daycare, but luckily it seems to be a 24 hour bug. Still long enough to force us to cancel plans to visit friends in PA this weekend though. Everyone is disappointed about that. (We'll get out soon, Jamie!)

Katelyn seems to be recovering. She just informed me that she's hungry. I'm feeding her apple juice and kiks. Nothing red! Keep your fingers crossed that this misses Matt and everyone else. Hope you all had good, healthy weeks!

2 comments:

Grandpa and Abi said...

Wow,Laura! I hope you all feel better. Once you discover the ears are the problem, the medicine definitely does the trick. So glad it was something that was treatable.
Hope this week goes a lot better!

Morgan's Mommy said...

We feel your pain! All of us have been sick throughout the holidays. Daniel and I had horrible colds that lead to MULTIPLE visits to the doctor only to turn around and get the stomach flu a week or two after our semi-recovery from the cold. We both ended up at the doctor's office AGAIN. I had to be pumped full of 6 bags of saline from sever dehydration. Good times! Surprisingly Morgan skipped our cold and only seemed to get a minor case of the stomach flu.