Saturday, October 16, 2010

Special Delivery - Dirt

Let's talk a few seconds about differences.  I order something and it comes in a nice little box with an arrow that looks like a smile.  Dad, on the other hand, orders stuff that seems to be dumped in a pile in our driveway.  Recent examples, the pile of firewood and then dirt.   (or soil as Grandpa C. would say.)
I discovered this delivery one evening w/o really knowing it was coming.  He had mentioned it, but I didn't register a specific day.  My first thought.  "Oh gees, there goes a weekend."  Second thought. "Why can't you order something that comes in a box with a smile!?"  It was a good time though, but the 'help' added some time to Dad's work. 

 Note the good form here...lift with you knees, not your back.
 Just a funny one.  Katelyn made a slide in the dirt so got incredibly dirty.  But she had quality fun doing it, so fine with me. 
 Dad took a few minutes to make himself a tamper. 
 Wondering what all this was for?  Chris built a raised garden area on the side of the house and leveled out the side yard.  I admit, I didn't pay much attention to how much it sloped, but it did.  Now that it's flattened out, I can see it'll look better.  The grass is coming up already.  And anyone that is concerned about drainage should review old posts and the trench Chris dun along this whole length about 18 months ago.  Dig it out...fill it in...make it look good....
The "help."  Yea, I gave up and let them get dirty.  The happiness offest the dirt exponentially. : )

2 comments:

Morgan's Mommy said...

I completely get it. Dirt equals fun for most kids and this was a once in a lifetime chance. Glad you didn't let them pass it up!

Grandma said...

Thanks for all the fun posts, Laura. I know that took a lot of time! Hey, about your comment about Chris's direction radar--I'm proud to say that I think it came from me. LOL

That top post of Matthew on his birthday really does make him appear much older!

Katelyn did such a good job with the electric mixer and cake mix. I was expecting to see her tilt the beaters and get the batter everywhere.