Monday, July 25, 2011

Wednesday - Washington Park Zoo

This was a smaller zoo, but it still had some cool things to see, including the white tigers.



An emu!  Is it Edward or Edwina?

Trying to get a picture of all the kids.

I walked up the path to visit The Tower.
 First scenic view as you take the last step is of the Michigan City coal and natural gas generating station. Ah, nature.  I guess you have to make concessions for vacationing so close to a major city.
 These angles were better.

 There was a restoration project completed in 2006. It wasn't clear if it included the benches, which looked like they were 'restored' by dumping some Quick-crete over the handlaid stonework that formed the original benches. 
 Monkey Island.  It was constructed in 1933 by the WPA.  Much of the zoo was.  It closed this season due to safety concerns for the monkeys.  Quite a relic. 
 Matthew and Scarlett looking at the baby minitature horse born earlier in July.
 Feeding parakeets.  Did I mention it was blazing hot?  Look at Matt's cheeks.  They birds weren't very hungry either.  We figured it was the heat or the fact a tour group of school aged kids had gone through before us.
Feeding goats.
After this, we went back to the house for lunch (aka to cool off) and naps. The thermometer in the van said said 101 and I believed it. I caught a glimpse of the weather that morning b/t cartoons and Wi and saw the heat index for the day was to be 105-110. Hot.  Or as K said, "It's a fire out there!"

No comments: