I've had a head cold for 3 weeks. Yes, a long time, but par for the course with two kids in daycare. Friday afternoon I couldn't get warm. I'm always cold, but this was unusual. I was still shivering while huddled in front of my heater in my coat. (I have a heater under my desk. Like I said, I'm always cold.) I called it quits at 3 and headed home to take a nap. I decided to take my temperature and it came back at 101.5. Now I start thinking flu. I'm achy and have a fever. I work in an office with international travelers and there was that one sick guy in that meeting earlier in the week.... You see where this is going. I call my doc. He says go to urgent care, but call first so they can have my mask ready. great. I call urgent care to make sure they know I'm coming and head on over. Luckily it's not busy. The receptionist treats me like I have the plague. I filled out all the forms and I was surprised she didn't put on gloves to take them. I end up getting swabbed to check for the flu, just in case. It came back negative. Turns out there is a virus going around that mimics flu symptoms. The doc told me I had done the right thing coming in, which made me feel less like a hypocondriac. He said he had swabbed 100 people for the flu that week and all had come back negative. I go home.
Chris had picked up the kids so I wouldn't potentially infect all of daycare with a possible case of swine flu. He had gotten home just minutes before I did. Matthew was still sitting in his carrier just inside the door. He gave me a really big smile when I walked in. Katelyn came running as I hung up my coat to see how I was and gave me a big hug so I'd "feel better." Those two things made me feel lots better.
I never did get that nap I had originally set out for. That's really all I needed. Hindsight is always 20/20 though. If I hadn't been terrified of infecting the kids, I just would have napped and moved on. No calls or visits to any doctors. But, at least I have the peace of mind knowing I'm fine and everyone else should be too.
May you all be healthy. And I promise the next post will include pictures of the kids because I know that what you really tune in to see.
Saturday, May 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I would have done the same thing - glad you are swine free :)
Hope you feel better soon. We(me) have all been fighting the head cold thing for a couple weeks now, too. Hopefully the end is near.
Post a Comment