I accept great handmade mother's day gifts (no pun intended). This is easy though. : ) I enjoy background stories to art and here is the one behind Katelyn's (you knew there'd be one!). She originally made a pink handprint, but then insisted on painting purple over top. It's a little muted, but a nice effect. All the other mother's just got one color. Happy Mother's Day!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Things I Do for the Kids
I figure out how to keep Mr. Sunshine from turning Matthew's room into a sauna. He gets all the afternoon sun and the normal thermal drapes did okay during the winter, but the first 70° day told me they weren't going to cut it all summer. I tracked down blackout fabric, hemmed it up and attached it to the back of the thermal drapes. You can see the difference. I just did this Friday and it hasn't been warm and sunny since then, but I'm hoping it cuts the heat too. His room is now one any baby, high schooler or vampire would love.
I pass up the pre-made pillows at Target. I got pillow forms online and took Katelyn to pick out whatever fabric she wanted for covers. We walked up and down several aisles before she saw the bolt of blue Dora fleece. She pulled it off the shelf all by herself! If you're familiar with a bolt of fabric, it's about as tall as Katelyn and this one was full so about as big around too. She wanted it though and took it. Fairly decisive, for an almost 3 year old. I pointed out the pink Dora fabric too, and that was also a must have...because it was Dora...and pink. I had planned on making two different ones, so that was fine. I spent my Friday night making them. (I'm a little bit proud of how well they turned out too!)
I cart this little pink bunny to school and back home every day. I forgot him once, and I thought the world was going to end (or that I was actually going to have to go back home and get him). Luckily, Ms. Tiffany, the teacher in Matthew's room, convinced Katelyn that one of their puppets would be a great stand in for the day. Somewhat surprisingly, she passed up the pink bunny puppet and took the frog instead. Whatever. Day saved. (photo courtesy of Katelyn)

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Happy Mother's Day! What wonderful sharing, what a great Mom! Those hand prints are priceless.
We send our love on this special day.
Post a Comment