Monday, September 13, 2010

Thursday - Halibut State Park and Home

Wrapping up our vacation with Thursday's activities.... To save another night in a hotel and to gain an extra day at home, we decided to drive all the way back in one shot. I didn't want to drive (or ride) all night, so we decided to have an activity in the morning then head back after lunch. So, we checked out of our Dover, NH hotel and went to Halibut State Park in Cape Ann, MA. I found it by looking over our route on Google Maps and checking out attractions along the way. This fit the main criteria. 1) Was close to our planned route 2) Something we couldn't do or see in Ohio.

It is set on the site of an old granite quarry that sits right on the Atlantic seacoast. Trails ring the quarry and also lead to the sea.

Katelyn takes in the quarry view. Very steep sides and the water is 60 feet deep in some areas.

Chris pretends to be falling in. I come to his aid, "Hold on honey, let me take your picture first!"

At the coast.


The slag pile. (Castoffs they couldn't use. )

I found this coastal area very relaxing. Maybe it reminded me of shorelines I visited on vacations with my family when I was younger. Rocky, windy, somewhat cold and beautiful.



Katelyn seemed to grasp the wonder of it too. She also channels my Grandma and Grandpa C. who always seem to have their hoods up in at least one photos on every vacation. :)

Matt was not overcome with amazement. He was bothered by the wind.

We walked back to the visitors center for an emeregency potty break and snack. Out of the wind there, it was sunny and warm.

Lookout from the top of the slag pile.



Matt tries to strangle mommy on the ride back.

Happy on the ride home.

The drive back went well. Lunch, nap, movie, snack, movie, a pitstop for cheese sticks and bananas for dinner (the kids), a stop at a McDonald's playland to expend engery and feed dad, the kids fell asleep for the night and we got home at 2am. I was worried they'd be wide away, but they both went straight to their beds and went back to sleep. Matt was up at 6am, of course, and Katelyn followed at 7. They both took 4 hour naps Friday though. It was nice to have the extra day to help with recovery and to do 7 loads of laundry.
This trip was just a week ago and already it seems very far in the past. I'm very glad we did it. It was great to see my brother and his family and to make some vacation memories with my family.

No comments: